RheoTune | rheometric profiles both yield strength and viscosity of fluid mud
Nautical Depth Survey System in fluid mud (Rheometer)
‘RheoTune rheometric profiler by yield strength, viscosity to measure the nautical depth. The RheoTune is a versatile system that provides both density as well as yield stress profiles of fluid mud simultaneously to determine the nautical depth. The RheoTune has been designed for rheometric profiles by using both yield strength and viscosity to set the nautical depth. The Rheotune is the Densitune’s successor.
The fact that the RheoTune is pre-calibrated makes it easy and quick to deploy, enabling swift and accurate data acquisition. Designed to deliver density as well as yield stress profiles. Running proprietary software for both acquisition and processing results in a detailed almost real time display of the profile that can be imported into sub–bottom profiling processing suites enabling a full
and comprehensive picture of the fluid mud and its characteristics. To increase productivity further an automated electrical winch or manual light weight winch with slip ring is
available. The Tune system is optimized to integrate with the Silas Seismic Processing.
The RheoTune is the state of the art successor of the DensiTune Silt Density probe, with its proven track record in nautical depth survey worldwide. Ongoing research on the tuning fork response in fluid and semi fluid mud has led to an in-situ measurement system to assess rheological characteristics. These parameters are the direct relevant input for nautical depth assessment and coastal studies. Stema Survey, the specialist in tuning fork silt measurement systems, succeeded to implement the theoretical background into a hands-on measuring device. The RheoTune provides fast and accurately vertical rheometric profiles (yield strength and viscosity). Furthermore it possess all functionality of the DensiTune.
The RheoTune profiler will be your partner in:
- Assurance of the nautical depth (accessibility) of your harbour.
- Water bottom stability assessment in coastal studies.
- Managing dredging resources and disposal area’s.
- Monitoring of siltation quantities.
The RheoTune is a versatile system to be operated from the smallest vessel or stationary installation. To increase productivity an intelligent winch system is available for fully automated operation. The RheoTune is optimized to integrate with the SILAS acoustic profiling system. The SILAS on-line density mapper allows rapid tracing of critical locations that require in-situ probing.
Results of the various measurements are summarised and presented in Figure 1 and Figure 2.
Conclusions from the described tests were as follows:
- The internal accuracy of DensiTune density measurements is better than the manufacturer’s specifications. Its actual accuracy during the experiment showed a difference from the specifications of less than +/-1 per cent
- The performance of DensiTune is stable during measurements. The result is consistent; almost no change within one year if the composition of silt does not change in a certain area
- The performance of the SILAS software is stable and reliable for determination of depth constant density layer. The survey accuracy is more than sufficient for measuring depths
- The accuracy of SILAS and DensiTune when surveying the thickness of two relative density layers is consistent. The results from the two products show no difference in measuring and the accuracy is relatively high
- DensiTune and SILAS are suitable for application in over-water determination of Nautical Depth. They are stable in collecting examples, accurate in surveying density and reliable in determination of same density layers
- It is an accurate, high efficient mobile system for Nautical Depth determination. The system has been proposed to be nominated as a standard for determination of the Nautical Depth in Chinese ports